Friday, April 13, 2007

Entering the mid 20 crisis

WHAT CRISIS????? you're only in your 20s!!!! Still so young!!!!!

I swear the mid 20s crisis exists. Its a point in your life where you feel that:

1. You're too old to party anymore. No more energy!

2. ____ (in this case St Paul's Cathedral), is so beautiful and you wish you had someone to share it with. Not just look at its beauty by yourself (and take a photo cos its so pretty), which is what I did
3. You just wanna be a pig and laze around at home zzzzz

4. Even travelling is getting tiring....


So. WHY???? What happened?!?!??!?!?!?!!
I was discussing this with my friend in Stanford...he is 24 and he feels like he isn't exactly at a good point at his life. He feels he will never find someone cos he wants a girl who speaks Mandarin and hes in USA, school (PhD) is starting to get tough..
My girlfriends (the single ones) and I constantly wish we had someone to share things with.

I think its the problem of going past the age of 21. 21 was like woohooo!!! I'm officially an adult (kinda) in the eyes of the law, if NEVER in the eyes of my parents.
22 was like...ok, one year past 21. I'm definitely "old".
23 is like..oh shit man..A few months before I start work
I can't qualify for the STA Student Travel Card in 3 years time, 4 years before I join a dating agency. -looks around- AND 2 OF MY CLOSE FRIENDS ARE ATTACHED! I'll never find someone.
my parents are older.. my sister is starting to look like my age..

AND WHAT GAVE I DONE WITH MY LIFE? 23 x 2= 46. I have lived 23 years, another 23 will go by just like that. and i havent done anything!?!??!?!?!?!?

I am just plodding along on the normal, "normal" course of life. School. Work. Marriage. Kids. Death. ok. Grandkids before that.
Is that what I want? Not like I can make a change till I am about 28 years old.. o my gawd..28...

People tell me that I am still young. Some of them quite condescendingly, some of them shaking their head. This young punk. Ok, so I am youngER. Not sure about young. haha. I guess maybe its a transition point in my life...from school to work. But I don't know what I want..is giving up one year of my life to try work in another field, that won't have much of an impact on my career for 6 years worth it? How much time do I have? Do I have time to "experience life" anymore? NO MORE summer holidays to do internships in Shanghai for fun, go to HK for some free program...
NO MORE leeway to study and do work when I want.. its 9am-7pm soon! Where my standard of living depends on my performance..though thankfully I am the female and therefore theres less pressure than if I were a guy -phew-

Ok BREATHE

So I am kinda looking forward to work. After all this studying, I want to see how I can do in the supposed real world. And sides, I'm sick of studying. I'm not looking forward to the constraints of work, but I don't mind getting down to it!
I'll have $$ to enjoy life and give some to my parents. (yes i have this crazy dream to buy them a sports car)
And I'm actually looking forward to singapore though I'm sure I'll think otherwise once I actually AM in Singapore. I'll have to build up connections and friends again n all that stuff..arrgghz

Don't get me wrong. London is great. Maybe if my family were here I could stay here longer..another 5 years? 2 years if they weren't. But. Its not the same somehow. I'll never be a real member/ citizen. I can live in my little Asian/ Oriental/ Singaporean community...but then what. Its like creating my own Chinatown! HAHA

Ok. I digress. I feel a lot better. EXAMS!! Here I come to conqueor you!!!!!

2 comments:

Shen Cong said...

Well, I'm sure THE ONE will come. Don't fret - just keep a look out! :) All the best for the exams!

Wat.

Anonymous said...

i am NOT starting to look your age. i am very young--not even 20 yet (: (: (: (: (: (: