Monday, April 09, 2007

Worldwide cuisine?

I always knew that food was going to be imported from somewhere..... I mean in Singapore, we don't grow our own stuff right? Everything's from somewhere else, malaysia, indonesia...even our sand is from there!!!!!!!!!!!

But I suppose its more in your face when its written on the packaging. In the UK, some of the fresh food has "best until" dates on them as well as which country it was imported from. I just noticed that my cherry tomatoes are suppose to be eaten in 4 days time, and they came from the Canary Islands! Exotic or what. I have this vision of a beautiful beach with coconut trees and palm trees, and my little cherry tomatoes growing......next to it on a patch of grass. Totally unrealistic but let me be creative here!!!!!!! (No Innovation and Creativity committee is going to tell me how to be "creative"!)

Even the Chicken proudly declares itself british. "British Chicken", complete with a little British flag. The honey is a mix of European and non- European honey. My honey is mix blooded!!! (Think Pan- Asian...)

I guess its just interesting how international the world is these days.... not just people travelling..FOOD too! I mean, food must have always been pretty international...but still! ITs so cool! My food is from all over, cuisines are from all over, people from all over..and I also have friends from all over! Friends whom I think I Wouldn't be able to keep in touch with if not for the Internet! THANK AL GORE (or whoever pioneered this)

I mean, you are not going to catch me writing long letters or blowing my phone bill to keep in touch with friends from various countries regularly...ok calls maybe (but rare). I'm too lazy and too cheapskate.

Even my blog. Makes me wonder how international it is.... people keep up to date with my life through this....

No comments: